Tarrant County Murder Defense Attorneys
There are various forms of homicide. We have vast experience in the trial and investigation of homicide cases. Undoubtedly, being accused of a homicide is one of the most serious crimes a person can be charged with. Our experience allows us to evaluate the strength of the district attorney's case and prepare a strong defense. We handle all types of homicide charges:
- Capital murder or death penalty cases
- Manslaughter, which in Texas is called murder under the immediate influence of a sudden passion arising from an adequate cause. This reduces the level of the murder charge from a first degree felony to a second degree felony.
- Vehicular homicide, which includes manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide by reckless or negligent operation of a motor vehicle.
- Intoxication manslaughter, which is a killing someone in a car accident while you are legally intoxicated.
Defenses in a Murder Case
There are several defenses in a murder case:
- Mistaken identity
- Self defense
- Not guilty due to insanity
- The death was caused by reckless or careless behavior, but the elements of murder were not present
If you are accused of murder, you should not talk to anyone other than your lawyer. Police investigators have extensive training in interrogation techniques, and when you are interviewed by them, you are on their turf and in their territory. Only an experienced lawyer can guide you through the process and help you avoid the traps. One possible trap that police often use is to try get you to say things that would remove possible defenses. For example, if you tell police it wasn't you, but DNA evidence later links you to the crime, you have already blown the other defenses.
The penalty for first-degree murder not less than 5 years and no more than 99 years of life in state prison. The penalty for manslaughter is 2 to 20 years in prison.
Free consultation: If you have been charged with murder in Texas, contact a board-certified criminal defense attorney at Ball & Hase in Arlington. In an emergency, call 817-412-7449. We answer calls 24 hours a day.